Monday, March 17, 2014

Welcome Spring! A Family Activity: Planted in Good Soil

Planted in Good Soil

Items needed: Packet of seeds; Flowerpots or starter pots; Soil
Plant some seeds (that can later be transplanted into your garden or yard) as a way to talk about how the different kinds of soils (hearts) received the seed (the Word).
Some questions to ask:
Does it matter where the seed is planted?
What might happen to the seed if the ground is hard or rocky or filled with thorns?
Why is important for the seed to be planted in good soil?
Jesus said the Word of God is like a seed. Our hearts are the different types of soil. (If you want to refresh your memory about the different soils/hearts, read Mark 4:3-8; 14-20.)
How is the Bible like a seed? (The Bible has everything in it to make you grow into a strong Christian. 1 Peter 2:2)
The Bible is God’s truth and contains all we need to grow to be more like Jesus. It can help us learn how to get to heaven, to be a good friend, to forgive our enemies, and to grow in love and many other good qualities.
What things can keep God’s Word from helping us? (We don’t listen to it; we don’t do what it says; we don’t think about it; we are more concerned about other things; etc.)
Just as we must plant the seed in good soil, we must also pay attention to it. We must water it and give it sunlight. If we neglect the plant for too long, it will wither and die. We must pay attention to God’s Word. We must read it, think about it, do what it says…then it will produce good things in us.
 
Hi Friends!  I'm so excited that Spring has sprung!  I love when the time changes, our days are longer, the temperatures are perfect, the birds are singing, and we are spending time outside.  Here at RHCC, Spring is also a great time of renewal.  As we go through our Lent journey, I like to remind myself that we are constantly planting seeds.  In our kids, in our friends, in our homes.  There are many days where I don't feel adequate, or that I am "good enough" or that I am capable of growing my babies up right.  Then I remember...I am a seed planter.  There are always going to be days that it seems like I don't water my seeds enough, or they don't get enought Sonlight.  But as long as we are planting seeds, and tending to them as much as possible - they will take root and they will grow and flourish.  I pray that you know that too!
Many Smiles,
Elisabeth
 
*Devotional and Family Activity taken from D6 Splink Conversation Starters.

No comments:

Post a Comment